Stefan Prestele wrote:

I think the problem is, that you have entered a user name when you were
asked for a regex for user names. So restart adduser and read the
questions properly. The question for a regular expression that user
names have to match should be 'a-z0-9_- (whithout the quotes). Then
when the question for the user name to add appears you should be able to enter every name matching the obove regex.

Thanks - this was the problem! :-) I'm used to the Linux way of adding users which doesn't have this setup phase - I just have to remember to use the -silent toggle when adding further users.

Thanks! :-)