At 02:58 PM 7/7/2003 -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
On July 7, 2003 02:39 pm, you wrote:
> At 02:27 PM 7/7/2003 -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> >On July 7, 2003 02:19 pm, you wrote:
> >There is a blurb near the top that mentions running pwd_mkdb with
> > the -p option to rebuild the master password file.  I think this is
> > what is confusing you.

> My manpage must be outdated or just wrong then:

> # man mergemaster | grep -- -p
>       the -p option to rebuild your password databases and recreate

Read the begining of that sentence.  I'll bet it is talking about
pwd_mkdb(8) and not mergemaster.

Well crap. Still, my version doesn't mention anything about "Pre-buildworld mode" so the pie on my face is at least tasty.

Since you have already updated your source tree, read
/usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster/mergemaster.8  That is the man page for
/usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster/mergemaster.sh  That will explain
everything, including when to run it using the -p parameter.  That
would be pre-buildworld.

Will do.

> Notice that there is no mention of mergemaster until step 6.

The Makefile reads the same on my 4.8 system.  However, that should
probably be updated, as every time I've seen a mention of mergemaster
-p on any of the mailing lists, it has always occured before the
buildworld.  (And that's the advice I've been following since the -p
parameter was introduced.)

Yes, updating the docs would be very helpful in situations.. oh, I don't know.. like this one.

--- Dustin Puryear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Puryear Information Technology, LLC <http://www.puryear-it.com> Providing expertise in the management, integration, and security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.