Hi Rob,

I suggest using ifconfig to modify the netmask. Try this:
"ifconfig device inet ip.address.here netmask netmask.goes.here broadcast your.broadcast.address.here"

For example, "ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.0.0.255" - this should tide you over until the machine is next rebooted. Just in case it doesn't work, though, make sure you have non-ethernet access to the machine (as I've found out the hard way previously :)

--Steven

Rob Lahaye wrote:

Hi,

I had to change the netmask of my ethernet card. So I modified /etc/rc.conf. But for that to take
effect, I should reboot. Now, how can I avoid a reboot for such a small change?

I had a look at the ifconfig command, to set the interface manually, but I was completely
lost by the amount of settings and options there.

I hoped that an easy command as: "/etc/rc.network restart" would do the trick, but that didn't work.

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks,
Rob.