Leave it as the dot. If you want to have a single supfile that handles ports and
source, you can say something like:

*default host=cvsup2.freebsd.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all
ports-all tag=.

This may be explained in the sample supfiles in /usr/share/examples/cvsup, I am not
sure.

-Will