Simon Adameit wrote:
Hi,

I use the bash shell and wanted to change the prompt and some aliases to use the gnu color ls, so I copied .shrc to .bash_profile and edited it accordingly. I also added java to the PATH in .profile. At first this didn't work when using the gnome terminal until I realised I had to change it to use a login shell. For a short time everything was fine but now .profile is completely ignored and when I start cvsup under gnome the text version and not the gui is used. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I'm using gdm.

Ok, this was solfed after reading the Bash Reference Manual, I was somewhat confused about when wich file is executed.
But I still don't know what to do about the sound or where to look for answers.