Ok, make world, make kernel and a nice friendly reboot and all seems to
be playing nice again.  I can update existing ports, install new ones,
and the machine seems to be playing nicely again.  So this seems to be
our issue of which a nice simple kernel upgrade seemed to fix it.  :)

I'm now running kernel 4.8 so that should help a lot.

>       Hi all.  Got an older box running Fbsd v4.6 and for some silly reason
it's
> got this strange habit of giving an error (didn't stay up long enough to
> write it down) that sounds like a kernel panic, except instead of the
> typical kernel panic message, it fills the screen with some message about
> an application error, hit any key or the server will reboot in 15
> seconds.  It only does this when compiling or after the box has been
up for
> more than 24 hours.  It's not a mission critical machine, but it's got
some
> data on it I'd prefer not to loose.  I know I'm being kinda vague, but it
> happens at random and I usually see the error on the screen just
before the
> box reboots.  So I don't have time to catch it.  I'm sure someone has had
> this before.  This is also the same box that had the ports installation
> issue.  Any insight into this would be welcome.  Also, if I see the error
> again, I'll try to write it down.

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"