On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 03:03:34PM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> According to /usr/include/sys/utsname.h, there is a 32-byte limit on
> the string that holds the hostname.  It looks like it could be boosted
> without much trouble, but *anything* that used the utsname structure
> would need to be recompiled.  And you'd have to migrate the change
> forward.  Doesn't sound worth it to me...

Thanks for the reply, Lowell.

I agree - it does sound like a huge faff, especially when explicitly setting
$primary_hostname in Exim's config makes the "problem" disappear.  Nothing
else gets confused, and most server apps I'm ever likely to want to run have
an option to explicitly set the local machine's hostname anyway.

Satisfies my curiosity, though...  ;-)

Cheers,

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \