;m struggling with getting the hardware clock (BIOS clock) equal to the
kernels time.

On my Linux boxes a utility called hwclock is run on the way down to
synchronize the 2.

The problem I'm running into is that if the time on the system gets to far
out of date for ntpd to bring it into synch, then I can update the kernels
clock with ntpdate. But when I reboot the old incorrect time comes back.

I ran into this during some software testing, that required setting the
clock pretty far off of real time, and it was a PIA to get the machine back
to the correct time.

How _should_ this be handled?

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin