On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:32:26 +0000 (UTC) in lucky.freebsd.questions, David Loszewski
wrote:

> Say I have a 20GB Data Transfer limit per month, is there a way to
> monitor how much of that limit I've used up? MRTG doesn't seem to do the
> job.

sysutils/ipa from the Ports Collection can do it.

I even can try to write ipa.conf (but didn't test it),
let 100, 200, 300 be IP Firewall rules which counts ingoing
traffic from ISP:

rule isp-ingoing {
    ipfw = 100 200 300
    info = Ingoing traffic from ISP
    maxchunk = 1G
# This allows to monitor traffic before limit 20G.
#    limit 10G {
#        byte_limit = 10G
#       zero_time = +M
#       reach {
#           exec = /bin/echo "10G reached" | /usr/bin/mail admin
#       }
#       expire {
#           expire_time = 0s
#       }
#    }
#
# This is 20G/month limit.
    limit 20G {
        byte_limit = 20G
        zero_time = +M
        reach {
            exec = /sbin/ipfw add 10 deny all from me to my-isp
            exec = /bin/echo "20G reached" | /usr/bin/mail admin
        }
        expire {
            expire_time = +M
            exec = /sbin/ipfw del 10
            exec = /bin/echo "20G reached limit expired" | /usr/bin/mail admin
        }
        startup {
            if_limit_is_reached {
                exec = /sbin/ipfw add 10 deny all from me to my-isp
            }
        }
    }
}

I didn't test this config and it can contain errors!

More information in IPA manual pages (also available on
http://ipa-system.sourceforge.net/).