On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 00:47, BSD baby wrote:

> > I just wondered whether the Centrino CPU was usable in combination with
> > FreeBSD.
>
> Yep!  I'm typing on my Gateway 450x Centrino laptop in FreeBSD 4.8 now.
> I *LOVE* it.    Looks and works wonderful.

Great. Thanks. I have heard many nice things about the performance with
the Centrino CPU and can't wait to try it out. Bought myself a Toshiba
Satellite 1950 a couple of days ago, but it kept hanging and segfaulting
in the installation process in both FreeBSD (need 5.1 to use cardbus
pcmcia wificard, 4.8 installed without problems). Now I'm returning the
hulking monster of a machine (heavy!) and exchanging it with this Acer
803.

> Note that the Centrino built-in wireless ethernet is not recognized, though.

So I thought. But that doesn't matter since I've already bought myself a
D-LINK DWL-650+ cardbus WiFi-card.

> But everything else is perfect.

Sounds great. Thanks for the input. Then I can relax - Acer support had
never tried to install neither FreeBSD nor Linux.

> The ultimate source is here:
>
> http://gerda.univie.ac.at/freebsd-laptops/

Super!

--