On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 07:30:54AM -0400, Greg Pavelcak wrote:
>Sorry about this, as I'm pretty sure this issue has been addressed
>before, but I didn't come up with the right search in the archives.
>
>I just added an Adaptec USB2 PCI card. If I boot with my Sandisk CF
>reader already plugged in, it messes up my SCSI device numbering and
>booting fails. If I plug the Sandisk in after boot, the device is
>recognized, and I can mount the card.
>
>What adjustment can I make to work around this so I don't have to
>remember to unplug my USB drives on the rare occasions when I reboot.
>(This is just a home PC, so it's not a real big deal, but I'm sure
>there's a right way to deal with this.)

I asked the same question recently about firewire.  You can force the
kernel to use specific devices in the SCSI chain, and the attached diff
with the GENERIC configuration file shows the changes I made to hard code
two SCSI drives on a 4.8STABLE system (this also enables SMP).

Bill

The essence of all slavery consists in taking the produce of another's
labor by force. It is immaterial whether this force be founded on ownership
of the slave or ownership of the money that he must get to live on.
    Leo Tolstoy 1891