FreeBSD  4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21 10:54:49 GMT 2001
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

As root, I made a text file (named t ) that did something like
echo $USER | tee xx
and then had it set user-id (I did 'chmod 4755 t'). As a plain user, I made a directory that only root can write my current directory and then invoked t (by giving a path-name to it). It reported that the USER was the plain user and couldn't write into the directory. It appears that the set user-id didn't work, but I also checked t with ls -l and the permissions were rwsr-xr-x , exactly like that of passwd and xterm (except maybe for the write permission of the owner).
How do I get set user-id to work?