At 2003-07-23T13:51:28Z, Eivind Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> There's no data on the disks that I want/have to keep. Is it at all
> possible to configure Vinum and then install FreeBSD or will I have to
> install FreeBSD first and then "convert" to Vinum-volumes by manually
> editing the disklabel (with bsdlabel), calculating offsets etc.?

I've had great success with configuring an initial tiny partition as '/' and
doing a minimal installation (and I mean *minimal*, as in, there's nothing
else you can remove and still have it boot).  The first step after booting
the new system is then configuring vinum, adding volumes for /usr, /var, and
so on, and moving the (small!) amount of data from the "physical" filesystem
to their vinum counterparts.  Once that's up, I do a more complete install
with /stand/sysinstall.

Out of curiosity, what offsets have you had to calculate?
--
Kirk Strauser