On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 01:11:14PM -0700, Rus Foster wrote:
> Hi All,
> Just wondered on FreeBSD is there a way that I can quickly create a file.
> When I mean quick I basically mean that the system just says that ok this
> file is allocataed inodes foo-bar rather than having to use mkfile 1G
> filename. Something like XFS's holey file support
>
> Rgds
>
> Rus
>

> --
> www: http://jvds.com   | Virtual Servers from just $15/mo
> MSNM: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Totally Customizable Technology
> e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       | FreeBSD & Linux
>        10% donation to FreeBSD.org on each purchase
> end of the original message

I'm not sure I've understood you completly. Anyway, to create files of
arbitrary size you can use the program truncate.

For example, to create a 1GB file named test with truncate:

# truncate -s1G test
# ls -l test
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1073741824 Jul 24 23:55 test

For more information: read truncate(1) manpage. You may also want to
take a look at dd (read dd(1) manpage).

        Francesco Casadei
--
You can download my public key from http://digilander.libero.it/fcasadei/
or retrieve it from a keyserver (pgpkeys.mit.edu, wwwkeys.pgp.net, ...)

Key fingerprint is: 1671 9A23 ACB4 520A E7EE  00B0 7EC3 375F 164E B17B