On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 02:00:07PM -0300, Leonardo Lazarte wrote:

> As seen in several messages to this and other lists, the PORTS
> mecanism has been broken.
>
> I have read about some patches and possible solutions, but I
> could not find an easy way to overcome the problem.
>
> Shouldn't it be announced clearly, on the FreeBSD site, that
> there is a problem with PORTS, perhaps pointing to some
> temporary solution, until the problem is solved?

It is announced clearly on the FreeBSD website that old FreeBSD
releases are unsupported.

  http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

> I have used FreeBSD for a decade, and it is the first time
> that I have to change the OS version due to problems broght
> from the distributions.

You've been fortunate, but if your claim is true (the FreeBSD project
has existed for 10 years and 3 weeks, so you must have been one of the
very first users), then you've presumably got the skills to cope.

Kris