I am using qpopper 4.0.3 for an ISP and it works fine for all the various SSL mail clients. Configuration may be a bit difficult for the client as some of them use the interim SSL mail port and some use the standard POP3 port. I have to run 2 separate POP servers with different ports to handle them. Likewise the users have to try the 2 different client configurations to see which one works for their specific client. Eudora on the Mac was simple. I have tested it on the PC also and I have a large number of users using it. The two config files I use are:

set bulldir="/var/bulletins"
set reverse-lookup=false
set home-dir-mail=".mail"
reset keep-temp-drop
set fast-update
reset check-old-spool-loc
set tls-support=stls
set tls-private-key-file=/www/certs/mail.key.pem
set tls-server-cert-file=/www/certs/mail.cert.pem
set trim-domain=true

set bulldir="/var/bulletins"
set reverse-lookup=false
set home-dir-mail=".mail"
reset keep-temp-drop
set fast-update
reset check-old-spool-loc
set tls-support=alternate-port
set tls-private-key-file=/www/certs/mail.key.pem
set tls-server-cert-file=/www/certs/mail.cert.pem
set trim-domain=true

Here are the instructions we provide our users for Eudora:

Some e-mail clients do support RFC 2595 and they work differently. They use port 110 which is the standard POP3 port. Here are the configuration instructions for Eudora 5.1:

• Go to Tools, Options and then select the icon for Checking Mail.
• Set the Secure Sockets when Receiving to "If Available, STARTTLS".
• Then select OK and download mail. It will fail with a certificate problem.
• That will display the LAFN certificate.
• Select the Certificate Information Manager button just above the OK button.
• That displays a different view of the certificate.
• Press the "Add To Trusted" button.
• Then press Done, OK etc. back out.
• Then download mail again and it should work.