While RAID5 gives efficient use of disk space for situations where you have 5 drives, its NOT a substitute for backups nor is it necessarily the best thing to use depending on the application. Writes for example are VERY slow and depending on the card, direct reads can not be that great either. Having a mirror of your file system containing

/home/data/very-important-big-file

will not stop

rm /home/data/very-important-big-file

It just obliterates it off all your drives.

If you do a lot of reading and writing of the disk, RAID5 is not necessarily the best. With IDE drives dirt cheap, consider something like RAID1+0 (aka RAID10). It offers the best of speed and safety, at the expense of space. In some cases, RAID1 might do you well. With the 3ware cards, reads are optimized and writes are hardly penalized. If you need a lot of space, consider the 3ware cards. Solid FreeBSD support, are relatively inexpensive, and have done me VERY well over the years.

---Mike