Is it possible to create vinum on a root drive without using the offsets in
the vinum configuration file?

What I trying to get to is that there seems to be two styles of getting
vinum setup on a root drive:
        I. 1. setup unix partitions for swap, /, /usr, and /var
           2. install FreeBSD5.1
           3. go through the bsdlabel -e
           3.1 modify the swap with the 281 offset
           3.2 add vinum partition h: with the same size as c:, but with a
16 offset
           4. create a vinum config file
-->        4.1 map each sub-disk to the exact size and offset as the unix
partitions

        II.1. setup unix partitions for swap and /
           2. install FreeBSD5.1
           3. go through the bsdlabel -e
           3.1 modify the swap with the 281 offset
           3.2 add vinum partition h: with the same size as c:, but with a
16 offset
           4. create a vinum config file
-->        4.1 create sub-disks using simply the size you want with no
offset

Method I. comes from the Complete FreeBSD book. I actually got this to work,
but was wondering about the inflexibility of not being able to change the
partition sizes very easily.

Method II. Can't get this to work yet, but if it can work then should be
superior given the flexibility that is gained.

So, can Method II work on a root drive? If Method II works, why would you
then ever want to implement Method I?

Thanks again,
Richard