On Tuesday, 29 July 2003 at 18:00:25 -0700, Richard Johannesson wrote:
> Is it possible to create vinum on a root drive without using the offsets in
> the vinum configuration file?

You need a configuration file to set up Vinum.  If you mean "Is it
possible to create vinum on a root drive without specifying offsets in
the vinum configuration file?", the answer is yes.

> What I trying to get to is that there seems to be two styles of getting
> vinum setup on a root drive:
>       I. 1. setup unix partitions for swap, /, /usr, and /var
>          2. install FreeBSD5.1

It doesn't have to be 5.1.

>          3. go through the bsdlabel -e
>          3.1 modify the swap with the 281 offset
>          3.2 add vinum partition h: with the same size as c:, but with a
> 16 offset
>          4. create a vinum config file
> -->      4.1 map each sub-disk to the exact size and offset as the unix
> partitions
>
>       II.1. setup unix partitions for swap and /
>          2. install FreeBSD5.1
>          3. go through the bsdlabel -e
>          3.1 modify the swap with the 281 offset
>          3.2 add vinum partition h: with the same size as c:, but with a
> 16 offset
>          4. create a vinum config file
> -->      4.1 create sub-disks using simply the size you want with no
> offset
>
> Method I. comes from the Complete FreeBSD book. I actually got this to work,
> but was wondering about the inflexibility of not being able to change the
> partition sizes very easily.

Once you have Vinum up and running, you can add and remove plexes and
move things around like that.

> Method II. Can't get this to work yet, but if it can work then should be
> superior given the flexibility that is gained.

That'll work, but then you need to populate the volumes.

> So, can Method II work on a root drive?

Sure.

> If Method II works, why would you then ever want to implement Method
> I?

It's easier.  You don't have to find a way to put things in your new
volumes.

Greg