Hello

I am currently helping a fellow user, Rommel B. Ikeda [EMAIL PROTECTED]  He
is have problems getting is computer to connect to the internet through a
Window 2000 proxy server.  I only have experience with NAT.  I do not expect
someone to solve our problem just point me to the correct documents (feel
free to solve the problem if you like).

I have all three FreeBSD books I own sitting on my and the handbook open in
the next window and I am not finding a clear explanation or solution.  Is the
setup of a client on a proxy server the same as the setup on a NAT
(transparent proxy), where  set the default route to the gateway, give it an
IP, set the DNS, and it is good to go. Or is there more complex routing
involved? He also has his ports remaped, ftp is moved somewhere in the 1000.
The server should handle the port remaping? ( I will clean toilets but I
don't do Windows.)

The email address that is subscribe to the list is down, please forward the
message to this address.

Thank you
Aaron

P.S. I have posted the details of the problem just in case anyone else wants
to help out (It started as a simple port install problem).

Rommel Ikeda is unable to communicate with the internet. I have had him do
some ping test (start with the server he need to install the port)

        $ ping ftp.jp.freebsd.org
        ping: cannot resolve ftp.jp.freebsd.org: Host name lookup failure

        $ ping www.oisca.org
        ping: cannot resolve www.oisca.org: Host name lookup failure

He is able to browse the web with Mozilla so my guess is he has that set up to
use the proxy.

Simple DNS problem check the /etc/resolv.conf well not that simple then he
ping the IP address:

        $ ping 210.171.225.106
         PING 210.171.225.106 (210.171.225.106): 56 data bytes
         ping: sendto: No route to host

Routing problem too. so this leads us to the question: do we need do anything
special to set up the routing table for a client behind a proxy server?

In the today's email I ask Rommel to send me the results of the route -r to
see if the gateway is setup. The desktop is setup to use DHCP addressing and
for some reason it did not setup a /etc/resolv.conf file so that will need to
be created.