On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 04:37:07PM +0000, clayton rollins wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 stan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >I've got a bunch of what I call "2nd generation" HP Vectras that I'm
> >redeploying for an application that gets input for Serial RS-232 devices.
> >At the moment the most input devices any 1 computer has to deal with is 2,
> >and I thought I would be in good shape using the on motherboard ports (as
> >I have done on the "first generation" Vectras).
> >
> >However, I just discovered that these machines have a 8250 serial chip
> >instead of a (useful) 16550A chip. Even ruining minicom against this port
> >locks the machine up :-(
> >

> Someone should smack that engineer around a bit. :)
>

> >Now, I can easily disable this port in the BIOS.
> >
> >So, whats the best (most FreeBSD compatible way) of adding an extra "good"
> >serial port or 2?
> >
> >I've had success in the past with ISA card serial port cards to add 3rd
> >and 4th ports. But I'm wondering if I can even still buy something this
> >old?
> >
> >Suggestions?
> >

> It sounds like you've got the right idea, and being able to disable the
> onboard crap really helps.
>
> I want to say this, though. I'm a FreeBSD newbie, and may be overlooking
> bsd specific issues. (I do see a variety of serial controllers listed in the
> hardware guide for 4.8, so I'd assume that this is fully possible. Try it
> on a
> single machine before you order all your serial cards...)
>
> About availabiliy, I was able to find a variety of cards on
> http://www.pricewatch.com . So, they're out there.
>
> Good luck reviving those machines,
> Clayton

Thanks.

I was able to go to the local computer store & geta PCI card with 2 serial
ports on it. Disabled the onboards, pluged it in, and it "just worked".
Suprised me, to, since  I was concerned when I took it out of the box, and
found no way to set IRQ's etc. I guess PCI really is "a good thing".

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin