On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 03:00:55PM -0400 or thereabouts, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a question about cvsup.  I read the manual and can update my ports with no
> problem.  Here is my question though...what if I was to change the Makefile for a
> port?
>  Is there a way I can still use CVSup to update my ports and merge the changes I
> made
> in the old Makefile with the new Makefile instead of having cvsup just delete the
> old
> one.

"It's a feature, not a bug." :-)

If you have lots of disk space, you can try using CVSup to mirror the CVS repository
and let CVS merge your changes:

* Omit the `tag' in your cvsupfile. Just don't put one in.
* Change the `prefix' to a place where you have a lot of space, such
  as /usr/local/portcvs. (Do NOT use /usr!)
* Cvsup as normal.
* You should find a lot of files in /usr/local/portcvs/ports/* with
  names ending in ",v". These are the CVS files.
* Back up your ports tree (mv /usr/ports /usr/ports.old).
* cd /usr && cvs -d /usr/local/portcvs checkout ports
* If all went well, you have a ports tree.

Now, always cvsup this way. To update your main ports tree, do
`cd /usr/ports && cvs -d /usr/local/portcvs update'. This will
try and merge your changes.

This may have been a bit difficult to understand. I'm sure someone else can
explain it better than I :-)

-- Josh