On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 10:30:57PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Fine.  However, you don't _need_ to identify the reason why the kernel
> died, or solve the bug in global common expression elimination to solve the
> problem of compiling the system with "cc -O2" resulting in a buggy kernel.
> If you determine that compiling with "cc -O -fgcse" results in failures,
> one does:

This is the trivial part (you don't even need to modify gcc, because
all the optimizations turned on by -Ofoo are also available as
individual -fblah options).  As I've already said, once you have a
self-contained test-case that demonstrates that a particular gcc
optimization level generates broken code, the gcc people will fix it.

Kris