From: "Gregory Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2003 9:49 AM
Subject: Installing PHP4 from ports fail

> I installed apache13-server. Will this installation allow me to use
ssl?

Not AFAIK.  You probably need apache+mod_ssl or
apache-ssl (? - the English one ... Greg Laurie, IIRC)...

> When I try to install php the installation fail repeatedly at this
point.

> -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib ../lib/libbison.a
> Making all in doc
> makeinfo --no-split   -I .  `test -f 'bison.texinfo' || echo
> './'`bison.texinfo -o bison.info
> bison.texinfo:37: Unknown command `copying'.
> bison.texinfo:58: Unmatched [EMAIL PROTECTED]'.
> bison.texinfo:93: Unknown command `insertcopying'.
> makeinfo: Removing output file `bison.info' due to errors;
use --force
> to preserve.
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/bison/work/bison-1.75/doc.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/bison/work/bison-1.75.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/bison/work/bison-1.75.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/bison.
>
> After the installation failed I did the following:
>   make clean  /usr/ports/lang/php4
> cd /usr/ports/devel/bison
> make clean
> make
>
> The bison installation fails repeatedly at the same place and with
the
> same error messages as the php installation.
>
> If someone could help me, offer any suggestions or pointers I would
> appreciate it.
>
> Gregory Norman

I've basically given up on building anything that's not
just about the latest source.  Probably a good idea
from a security standpoint.

The issues focus around compatibility in code.  If
you're running 4.4-release, you've got a codebase
that's almost two years old.  If you've updated /usr/ports,
you have a much newer version of PHP.  IIRC,
bison is part of /usr/src/gnu, so it's probably outdated
as well, unless you've installed a newer version yourself.

Sorry I'm of little help.  My solution (I rebuilt mod_php4
yesterday) is to run -STABLE, and cvsup /usr/ports
before compiling anything ...

Kevin Kinsey