>Lewis Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at
>06:49:49AM -0700, John DeStefano wrote:
>> AFAIK, I have not enabled ldap authentication. But how do I
>> confirm?
>
>Well. If it's 2.2.8a then it's defined at compile time (i.e., you
>specify you want it, or it autodetects if openldap is installed).
Otoh,
>if it's samba-devel (3.0.0b2) then you can modify the behaviour with
>the passdb backend smb.conf setting.

I'm using 2.2.8a.  I've now done a 'make install' after 'make
deinstall' twice, with the same results both times, so I can only
assume the installation is autodetecting openldap, as you suspected
above.

>Chances are it's 2.2.8a and you'll need to recompile, unless you
>/want/ to use LDAP.

Searched the handbook and FAQ, but nothing helpful there on ldap, let
alone ldap and samba.  Google produced a slew of unanswered mail
archive questions.  I don't care one way or the other whether to use
ldap or not; I just want samba to work!  Any recommendations?

>Best wishes,
>-lewiz.

Thanks,
~John