David Banning wrote:

I am looking at buying a dsl modem used but I am not aware of
the differences from one to the next. I am using a G-net which seems
to work fine, and I used a Nortel Networks one when I was with another
DSL supplier.

Is the operation of most DSL modems the same, and if so, can a
specific DSL modem used with one DSL service supplier be used with
another DSL service supplier?

No, they aren't. There are several different ways to deliver DSL service (Even with the same form of xDSL), and therefore you will need to ensure that your DSL modem is compatible for the local ILEC's gear (Which is what determines compatibility, not your ISP's gear, as your ILEC, not necessarily the ISP, provides the DSLAM which the DSL circuit temrinates on)

Adam