I tried to invoke sysinstall to write an additional FreeBSD slice
to the disk I was currently booted from.

I intentionally chose the W option to write the changes since
I didn't want to do an installtion. But I got an error that I could
not write to the disk.
Why is that? Because I'm booted from that disk? Or because
the can only be one slice? Don't know. Just wondering.

Is there a neat fdisk for FreeBSD like the linux fdisk
(which is pfdisk derived, I believe). The FreeBSD fdisk
is really archaic and I was not able to specify start/end
block numbers. The calulated cyl numbers seemed to overlap
with the previous partition so I bailed out and left
it as it was and put up this question instead.