David Lodeiro wrote:
A couple of days ago I set up my printer on my FreeBSD server and set it up so I could print from my FreeBSD client. This all works very well, printing from botht the server and the FBSD client. However, I also have samba set up for file serving with my dads XP box. I have been trying for quite some time now to set samba up to enable me to print from the XP client. My situation at the moment is that the XP client can detect the printer in explorer, I can set up a printer to print to it without any errors, however when I go to print a test page, nothing happens. No errors, no printout.

I started the smbd and nmbd demons with debugger set to 10 to see if I could find something out

Firstly , this is the relevent part of my printcap

Canoni850|bjc800;r=600x600;q=photo;c=full;p=a4;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/Canoni850:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/Canoni850/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/Canoni850/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:
I can print from FBSD using lpr -P Canoni850 filename

here is the relvant section from smb.conf
[global[
   load printers = yes

use client driver = yes

show add printer wizard

[printers]
   comment = Canon i850
   path = /var/spool/lpd/samba
   browseable = yes
   printable = yes
   public = yes

File sharing on with this smb.conf works without any problems
my /var/spool/lpd directory contains the directories = Canoni850 lp & samba all with r w x permisions and the sticky bit

if I have path = /var/spool/lpd/Canoni850

<snip>
And still nothing comes out of my printer , and nothing is present in my lpq on the server. Does anyone now what is going on in my log?

sorry about the long post

Thanks

David

You have to remember that samba print shares need to accept raw Windows print information. It should go in unfiltered. I did a google search and found these links (search params were printcap samba raw):

www.freebsd.cz/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/ books/corp-net-guide/x905.html
dbforums.com/t854189.html

HTH