> However, the more I use mount_smbfs or fstab,
> the more I long for a GUI utility that I can
> use to browse the "Network Neighborhood" and
> mount any shares I desire under /smb or similar.

I think LinNeighbourhood is what you want. You can browse your windows
network with it, and mount shares with a double click.

It's in the ports collection (ports/sysutils/linneighborhood)

You should also apply the following patch to the port:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/55179 (which fixes
the handling of file systems and mount points with white spaces).

(Save the base64-encoded attachment starting from
(ports/converters/uudeview) on it. After that, you have to extract the
.tar.bz2 archive and apply the patch:

cd /usr/ports/sysutils/linneighborhood
patch < <patch to uncompressed patch file>
rm *.orig files/*.orig

Regards,
 Simon