I'm sure youll get a lot of great answers for what to run on another
FreeBSD box, but if you want something to run on a Win box checkout
Servers Alive! by Woodstone
http://woodstone.nu/salive/

It's free for up to 10 entries, but only $179 to check up to 5000 entries.
Does Ping, TCP services, UDP, DNS IPv6, Win server monitoring, Web
services, databases, netware, snmp, etc etc and sends alerts via
Pager/SMS, email, sound, MSN instant messenger, syslog or it can run a
program, update a web page, restart or reboot a windows box and a lot
more.
Before my home network became more diverse and I learned about
mrtg/nagios/etc it's all I used and it works great.
I dunno how I found it, but I still use it in addition to my other tools.

Jeremy D. Pavleck
[EMAIL PROTECTED]