Kirk R. Wythers wrote:
[ ... ]
I was hoping for some advice as to easiest way to fix this. I'm always
nervous when something says "try tweaking the mail server", but I don't
want to re-run ./configure if it will mess up something that I have
already set up...

The easiest way would to be install Mailman via the port. In particular, /usr/ports/mail/mailman/Makefile suggests:

CONFIGURE_ARGS= --prefix=${MAILMANDIR} --with-python=${PYTHON_CMD} \
                --with-username=${MM_USERNAME} \
                --with-groupname=${MM_GROUPNAME} \
                --with-mail-gid=${MAIL_GID} --with-cgi-gid=${CGI_GID}

.include <bsd.port.pre.mk>

# The Mailman port supports a number of variables that may be tweaked at
# build time.  Getting the values of some of them right is crucial!
# Perform a "make options" to see more information on these variables.
#
MM_USERNAME?=   mailman
MM_USERID?=     91
MM_GROUPNAME?=  ${MM_USERNAME}