I am attempting to install BSD 5.0 on the second hard drive in this
machine.  It is a 2.8 P4 with 1 GIG of memory.  The CD drive is an
OPTORITE CD-RW CW480, and the hard drives are IDE 74.5 gig.  Here is the
problem:

I insert the 5.0 cd in the drive and have the machine set to boot from
the cd first... but as the process starts and everything is loading the
machine HALTS with the error:

ata1-slave: ATAPI identify retries exceeded
ad0: READ command timeout  TAG=0  SERV =0 -resetting
ata0: resetting devices..

EVERYTHING HALTS at this point and won't move forward.

The machine functions as it should under Windows XP Professional
operating system that is installed on the first hard drive... including
the CD drive.

What is going on here??...  and how can I get this thing to continue to
read the cd when attempting to install FreeBSD 5.0
I've heard the processor is 'too fast' and/or the CD is too fast... so
which is it? and is there a 'cure' or patch or some type of 'trick' to
getting this process to continue to completion?  Thanks in advance...

MyBest,
Brad