Darwin is a hack of several other operating systems.. Mac OS X code was mostly based on NetBsd in the first release. Apple has been switching over to more FreeBSD code in each release. Last time I looked into darwin, there was a page on apple's website discussing the topic. I think there is a kb article discussing it in terns of Mac OS X as well.

As others have pointed out, the kernel is different. (Mach 3 kernel)

If you have a need for a BSD running on PPC.. check out NetBSD.