Just put the FQDN in /etc/hosts

# /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.1     box1.mydomain.com       box

Travis

Mark Woodson wrote:

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 03:10 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,
 I just loaded freeBSD 5.1 and ran into some trouble....I have edited
the /etc/hosts file to show the required name....but when I boot up the
system hangs and gives the message "...My unspecified name is
BLAA......Sleeping for retry" It comes out of this loop if I hit ^C. I have

That's sendmail saying it can't figure out the host name. Unless the machine is handling mail, it's not really a big deal. It's not really hanging, you're just not being patient enough in letting it timeout.

Configure sendmail properly or disable it entirely to fix the problem. The problem isn't really /etc/hosts.

-Mark