Michael Haro wrote:

I recently installed FreeBSD 4.8 on a server at work. I cvsup'd and
installed an updated world and installed a few ports. I also
rebuilt the kernel to support dual processors. I don't know if this
always happened, but now the on-board pc speaker (the one that goes
beep, not from a sound card) emits a high-pitched tone a minute or two
after boot.

it could be just be the speaker inducting the electro-magnetic interference from the motherboard when it enabled the second CPU

if it is one of those surface contact ones I guess you could break it by forcing something down the little hole

it it is one on wires you can test my hypothesis by making the wires longer

or you could take out / disable the second CPU and see if that cures it

If you have a sensitive sound card you can hear the mb activity as I have myself, mine used to make noise when moved the mouse

my first computer the Acorn BBc Micro used to suffer the same problem, you could "hear" scrolling text