You can always install portinstall from the ports.  Then cvsup your
ports tree regularly and run ports db -Uu (or something similar, I can't
recall right now - it's in the portinstall man page) and simply type:

Portupgrade kde

And it'll go through the whole thing.  Be warned, it can take a LONG
time to compile and stuff.  On my athlon 800 it took something like 12
hours to go from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2