Hi,
I haven't done this before, and even though I have "FreeBSD Unleashed",
and have read several articles from bsdvault.net and the relevant
section of the handbook, I still have a simple question.

I want to stay at a 'production' version of FreeBSD.  I'm currently
running 4.8-RELEASE, which I installed via ftp over the Internet perhaps
2 weeks ago.

All I want to do is have the latest ports, bugfixes and source code.
I'm not interested in being on the 'bleeding edge'.

I have used cvsupit to update my ports and base cources.  Here is my
/etc/cvsupfile:

*default  host=cvsup11.FreeBSD.org
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  tag=RELENG_4
*default  delete use-rel-suffix

src-base
*default tag=.
ports-all
doc-all

The question is: How can I determine if it is necessary to do a 'make
world'?

Thanks,
Charles