On Tuesday 19 August 2003 02:21 am, Vlado Korcek wrote:
>    Hi People,
>
>    I've tried to set up the sound card on my machine but
> unsuccessfully
>
>    :-(
>
>    I'm running FreeBSD 5.0. The MB is Abit NF7-S based on nForce2
>    chipset. The sound card is on board:  AC 97 CODEC on board
>    I've compiled the KERNEL with "device pcm" in order to get the
> audio running. But when I reboot the system and then I check for the
> device, I see nothing:
>
>    grep pcm /var/run/dmesg.boot  - shows no pcm device
>    dmesg | grep pcm - no device listed
>
>    Could anyone advice me what can be the problem and how to get it
>    running???

Pcm is not the entire sound card driver, only a common portion of it.
Use "kldload snd_driver" and I believe every /boot/kernel/snd_* module
will be loaded. *Then* see if your sound works.

Once you get that working then you can start optimizing. Visit dmesg for
clues as to exactly which module is needed for your hardware and try

Once I had mine figured out then in /kernel/loader.conf I put this one
line:

snd_es137x_load="YES"

My system looks like this:
# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   11 0xc0100000 381650   kernel
 2    1 0xc0482000 6190     snd_es137x.ko
 3    2 0xc0489000 1d320    snd_pcm.ko
 4    1 0xc04a7000 4a30c    acpi.ko
 5    1 0xc34bc000 2000     blank_saver.ko
 6    1 0xc3578000 18000    linux.ko
#

Notice snd_es137x.ko caused snd_pcm.ko to be loaded without otherwise
being told to load.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]