Howdy,

I originally posted this to the sparc64 mailing list and haven't
received a response. It occurs to me that this might not be sparc
specific and so I'm reposting it on [EMAIL PROTECTED] It's a -CURRENT sparc64
system, so I'm not sure that -questions@ covers all the territory either
:-)

I have the serial boot console and a login getty working, and I wanted
to move them to 38400 from the default 9600. The short story is that it
works until it mounts root, then I get garbage like this:

xx|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@@|[EMAIL PROTECTED]||x|[EMAIL
PROTECTED]|[EMAIL PROTECTED]@|x|x||x|@x|x|xx|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|@|x|x| (etc)

Which I assume is due a serial speed mismatch. After a little bit of
time, the computer finishes booting and I'm presented with a working
serial login (i.e., the speed matches again).

Here's a rough synopsis of what happens:

Timecounters tick every 0.976 msec
IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.
IP Filter: v3.4.31 initialized.  Default = pass all, Logging = enabled
ad0: 8223MB <ST38410A> [16708/16/63] at ata2-master WDMA2
acd0: CDROM <CRD-8322B> at ata3-master PIO4
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0a
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|x|[EMAIL PROTECTED]@x|@xx|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|@@|@xx@|xpx@@xx|xx@
(etc for several lines)
FreeBSD/sparc64 (caliban.rospa.ca) (ttyb)
login:

The parts that work at 38400:

* Getting into the Sparc firmware via ~# in tip (this is /so/ handy!)
* Getting into the loader (this is /so/ handy!)
* The kernel messages reporting detected hardware
* The getty to login

To set this up, I've:
* Set ttyb setenv'd as the input and output devices and the speed set to
  38400 in the Sparc firmware (this part is sparc64 specific)
* Set BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED= 38400 in /etc/make.conf
* Set options CONSPEED=38400 in my kernel config file
* cd /usr/src && time make buildkernel && make installkernel
* cd /usr/src/sys/boot && make all install clean
* sunlabel -B ad0 (sparc64 specific - sunlabel rather than bsdlabel)

Am I missing something?

-T

--
Page 2: Unix today is nothing less than a worldwide culture, comprising
many tools, ideas and customs.