On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:54:39 -0700 (PDT), Dan Strick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I've recently acquired a radeon 9800pro and am now trying to get it
working on XFree86 with no luck.

I'm using XFree86-4.3.0 on FreeBSD 4.8
I've added the following to my config file:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
        Driver "radeon"
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

When I run startx I get the following error:
(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1)
found

If I change the busid in the config to PCI:1:0:1 I then get an error
complaining that no Device section for PCI:1:0:0 is found

The card does have dual output but I'm only trying to use the main VGA
connector. Am I even using the right device for the 9800pro ?

(Oops.) I guess my previous observation that the 9800 is not fully supported may be irrelevant.

You can verify the PCI address of your video card by doing "pciconf -lv".

Dan Strick
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My Radeon 9500 (upgraded to a 9700 in Win with a utility called Riva Tuner - don't know what if any difference this makes in FreeBSD) works with XFree86, both latest port and source cvsup-ed as of yesterday, though I get the same message re "No matching Device section...."

Is it an AGP card? Do you happen to have "device agp" in your kernel? Sorry, I (obviously) don't know much about this, and that's all I can think of.

Jud