On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:26:27AM -0400, Bob Hall wrote:

[...]
> Samba works fine, so this doesn't seem to be a problem. But I'm
> puzzled, probably because I don't know much about this. I'm guessing
> that the error message occurs because inetd got to the port first.
> But I thought that binding to a port was a prerequesite for listening
> at the port. So if binding failed, why is nmbd listening at *:137?

If you installed samba via the port, you *don't* need to make changes
to /etc/inetd.conf. The port installs a startup script that invokes
persistent smbd and nmbd deamons on startup.

So what you're seeing is a conflict between the inetd.conf setup and
the persistent daemon setup. I'd recommend that you take out the
entries in /etc/inetd.conf.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>