Hi Jason,
Thanks for the feedback... yes was aware of Vinum but I hear a few horror stories of trying to change drives out when there's a problem...

The card was hardware (I thought)... but the bit I didn't expect was that the card would be transparent to FreeBSD if not recognised. I figured an unsupported card would not show the drives on it... this one does but all separate (even though the BIOS acknowledges the 4 drive RAID is drive 80)...

cheers, Chris R.