I have spent over 2 days trying to install this software but no matter
what I do the desktop size always ends up being too big.

If I click on alt + ctrl + - or + nothing happens. Tryed altering the
xf86config file it won't let me.

Are you editing the file as root?

Why is this so hard seriously its a pain.

Getting X set up right can be frustrating.

Here's what I usually do.

1) log in as root
2) XFree86 -configure
3) ee XF86Config.new
4) look in that file for the mouse section
   - replace /dev/sysmouse  with  /dev/psm0
   - if you have a wheel mouse, add the line
      Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
5) look for the screen section
   - add the line
      DefaultDepth    24
        or
      DefaultDepth    16
        before the parts that say
           Subsection ... EndSubSection
   - in whichever section you choose (16 or 24)
       add a line
         Modes "1024x768"
           underneat the line that says
         Depth 24  (or 16)
6) save the file (by pressing ESC-ENTER-ENTER)
7) move the file in to position with
      cp XF86Config.new /etc/X11/XF86Config

There is also a good page about this in the handbook: http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html