Turned out to be a bad cable! Wow, it was a pretty new one too...It's pretty weird that it causes the network card to not even be recognized.

Thanks!

On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 05:29 PM, Clay Jones wrote:

I discovered I had 1) A bad media burn to CD, and 2) An unsupported network card. I burned disk 1 of the ISO again and purchased a new network card from the hardware compatibility list (My realtek is version 82xx not 81xx).

So after re-installing, the DLink I purchased was recognized as a RealTek 81xx as expected. I assigned an IP and did other network configuration, and then rebooted.

Everything seemed fine, but when I shut the box down, moved it to my server room, and booted it back up, the network interface is now not discovered on boot, and does not exist. I've rebooted several times to no avail, the network interface may as well not exist.

Any ideas?