On 08/23/03 07:56 PM, Thomas Smith sat at the `puter and typed:
> FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE
>
> I have a Cox Internet connection that I currently use a Netgear router
> with. I'd like to hook my FreeBSD box to that connection and use it
> instead. The problem is that Cox provisions accounts and if the MAC
> address changes they have to be called to reprovision the account.
>
> What I'd like to do is configure one of my NICs to clone the MAC of the
> router. How is this done in FreeBSD?

Finally, a question I know the answer to . . .

Create a file called start_if.xl0 (assuming xl0 is the interface you
want to reconfigure, change it if yours is different) and put the
following line in it:

ifconfig xl0 ether 00:00:00:00:00:00

Of course, you want to correct the interface here too, and put the mac
address you want to use in place of the one here.  Just make sure the
interface with the mac address in question isn't being used on a
network this machine is directly connected to.  I used this when I had
a card die, and didn't want to spend two hours trying to get
reprovisioned.

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Watson's Law:
  The reliability of machinery is inversely proportional to the
  number and significance of any persons watching it.