Louis LeBlanc wrote:
Probably not possible, but I was wondering (and have for some time,
though I can't find any info on it either way) whether /etc/motd is
strictly a text in/text out file, or if there is a way to get it to
execute a command, the output of which is to be included in the text
output?

/etc/motd is a text file, and is displayed due to the following section /etc/login.conf:

default:\
        :passwd_format=md5:\
        :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
        :welcome=/etc/motd:\

FYI, most other flavors of Unix have a "cat /etc/motd" in the default shell init files. Anyway, if you want to dynamicly generate motd, you could invoke your program via cron or simply put something in /etc/profile which will display whatever it is you want to see (if for all users), or in ~/.profile [ ~/.login, ~/.zlogin, etc]....

--
-Chuck