OK, first off, my.cnf doesn't get created in the ports install on FreeBSD, but if you check the startup script, all the parameters are passed to the mysqld process at that time, if you have a play with the mysql stuff you can modify that script so that it does read it. In fact that is necessary if you wan to run with InnoDB tables anyway (you probably don't for pam_mysql). This is what you can modify the script to look like, where it also sets the log directories:

#!/bin/sh

DB_DIR=/data01/mysql40
PIDFILE=${DB_DIR}/`/bin/hostname -s`.pid

case "$1" in
start)
if [ -x /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe ]; then
/usr/bin/limits -U mysql \
/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/usr/local/etc/my.cnf --user=mysql --log-bin-index=${DB_DIR}/logs/ajax-logidx.log --log-error=${DB_DIR}/logs/errlog.log --skip-bdb --pid-file=${PIDFILE} --datadir=${DB_DIR} > /dev/null &
echo -n ' mysqld'
fi
;;
stop)
if [ -f ${PIDFILE} ]; then
/bin/kill `cat ${PIDFILE}` > /dev/null 2>&1 && echo -n ' mysqld'
else
echo "mysql-server isn't running"
fi
;;
*)
echo ""
echo "Usage: `basename $0` { start | stop }"
echo ""
exit 64
;;
esac

Default log directories are in the default data directory, which is something like /var/db/mysql or somesuch (the location is in the Makefile for mysql) They are changed in the above script prior to starting the db server for the first time.

Incidentally, here is my version of the relevant section of pam.conf.

# Mail services
imap auth sufficient pam_unix.so try_first_pass
imap auth optional pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=******* db=mail host=ajax table=mail_users usercolumn=user_col passwdcolumn=pw_col crypt=2
imap account required pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=******* db=mail host=ajax table=mail_users usercolumn=user_col passwdcolumn=pw_col crypt=2
imaps auth sufficient pam_unix.so try_first_pass
imaps auth optional pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=******* db=mail host=ajax table=mail_users usercolumn=user_col passwdcolumn=pw_col crypt=2
imaps account required pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=******* db=mail host=ajax table=mail_users usercolumn=user_col passwdcolumn=pw_col crypt=2
pop3 auth required pam_unix.so try_first_pass
sieve auth sufficient pam_unix.so try_first_pass
sieve auth optional pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=******* db=mail host=ajax table=mail_users usercolumn=user_col passwdcolumn=pw_col crypt=2
sieve account required pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=******* db=mail host=ajax table=mail_users usercolumn=user_col passwdcolumn=pw_col crypt=2

It occurrs to me that if you haven't enabled the imap port in /etc/services, that could cause this kink of problem - but seems an unlikely scenario.

Lastly _MAY BE IMPORTANT______________

From the imapd.conf I have, I can't see the 'sasl_mech_list: PLAIN' line, so this may be affecting it!

FWIW, I still get shed loads of errors in the logfiles at auth time - never managed to sort that - and now can't be bothered!

Hope some of this helps! :-)

Johan Paul wrote:
Hi and thanks for you reply!

Welcome to nightmaresville. I struggled with this for yonks, and found that there were some other files that needed to be setup, e.g.:

F**k! I mean why does it have to be so difficult? In RedHat Linux I got the same configuration up without any problems...

ajax# cd /usr/local/lib/sasl2
ajax# cat Cyrus.conf
pwcheck_method: saslauthd
ajax#

Ok, well added that there also. And then I read somewhere that the pwcheck_method -line should be in imapd.conf too.

There is at least one other one, and I'm trying to find it!

Are you getting any trace out that you can post? I'd agree with you that it doesn't seem to be contacting the database. If you have a log against mysql, you could check this from the database end.

This was actually the other thing I was wondering about; a) where is my.cnf in FreeBSD to config MySQL for and b) where does MySQL log the queries? I would love to look into what pam really tries to do with mysql - or doesn't.

The only thing I can trace back to is the line I get into /var/log/messages:

Aug 26 17:28:27 silakka imapd[3167]: login: my.machine[127.0.0.1] kypeli plaintext

Yes, it works but it works dispite it shouldn't since I removed the line from database with my username. In fact I read these postings with this username that shouldn't work :)

In my view, the docs for Cyrus fall a long way short of what is really needed!

Yep! And this isn't the first time I struggle with Cyrus and notice that the docs are out of date and mailing lists/newsgroups are the only way to get help. Thank god for them :)

But the wierdest thing is that I think it in fact does use pam to auth but it uses the wrong service (a one that authenticates from /etc/passwd). Can anyone verify if this is possible? What it the correct service line for pam.conf?

Cheers,

Jon Mercer

Thanks,

Johan Paul

Johan Paul wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get the Cyrus imapd to authenticate with pam_mysql
-authentication?

In /usr/local/etc/imapd.conf I have:
allowanonymouslogin: no
allowplaintext: yes
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

...among other things.

I am running saslauthd with pam authentication:
silakka# ps xa |grep saslauthd
  258  ??  Is     0:00.01 /usr/local/sbin/saslauthd1 -a pam

This is what I have in my /etc/pam.conf:

# Mail services
imap    auth sufficient pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=uBerSecRETPASS
host=localhost db=mail table=accountuser usercolumn=username
passwdcolumn=password crypt=1

imap    account required pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=uBerSecRETPASS
host=localhost db=mail table=accountuser usercolumn=username
passwdcolumn=password crypt=1

The problem, I think, is the service column. The authentication is done
via PAM since when I change the password for my shell account the mail
password is changed too. But saslauthd uses some other service to
authenticate, not imap and thus not pam_mysql. Why doesn't it reconize the
above lines for Cyrus?

I am running FreeBSD 4.8R

This is giving me serious headache :) Thanks in advance for any clues!!

Regards,

Johan Paul

|         ___                  ___                               |
|        /   |                |  /                               |
|       / /| |                / /                                |
|      / / | |     _____     / /      ____      ____     ___     |
|     / /__| |    / ___ \   / /__    / __ \    / _  |   |  /__   |
|                         www.achean.com                         |
| Jon Mercer                               [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Mobile                                            07973 256496 |
| Tel.                                              0117 9561211 |
| Fax                                               0117 9565637 |