On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:43:49 +0200
Heinrich Rebehn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is RELENG_4 to be considered stable? I.e. can i use it for production?
>
> Also i am still a bit unsure, what CURRENT, RELEASE and STABLE mean.
>  From other OS's, i know that "Release" means "for production use".
> But 5.x-RELEASE is said to be not for production.
> Is STABLE more stable than RELEASE?
>
> Thanks for any insight
>
>       Heinrich

-STABLE  = 4.x
-CURRENT = 5.x
-RELEASE = Snapshot of STABLE/CURRENT

RELENG_4 is the development branch of -STABLE & it can be broken from
time to time (rarely, but still).. so you wouldn't want to use that for
production use.

For production.. it's best to use a -RELEASE from the -STABLE branch.
You'd want RELENG_4_8 - which is 4.8-RELEASE + bug/security fixes.

Hopefully that makes some kinda sense. :D