On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:39:42PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> 1) Since reloading my system I find that it is very slow to boot. It looks
<big snip>
In addition to what others have said, note you can usually press
'ctrl-c' if the machine looks like it's taking a long time to load one
of the rc scripts when you boot and that usually stops the execution of
the current script.

Generally though this does sound like a problem with DNS as other(s)
have mentioned.  I had a similar problem recently when my bandwidth
provider went down for a day or two (ick) and sshd was taking a _long_
time to respond because it was trying to run a lookup on the inbound IP
address when none of my resolving dns servers were available.

First if you want to test things out, try disabling everything in
/etc/rc.conf and re-enable them one by one until you find out what's
causing the hang (similar with /usr/local/etc/rc.d scripts).

If it does turn out to be sshd (suspect it may be)...

Ensure your hostname is set correctly and fire up named on boot.  The
default named setup is pretty safe on freebsd and simply acts as a
caching dns resolver.  Then just make sure you have:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

in /etc/resolv.conf.

--
Jez