I would like to upgrade mysql from mysql-server-3.23.54 to mysql-server-3.23.57 and understand that I will need to do a dump before upgrading since the upgrade needs to overwrite the databases. Since I have never done this before, I just want to make sure I have the correct steps after reading over the mysql site and the man pages.

First I will dump all of my databases:

mysqldump -A > backup-file.sql

Then I will shutdown the mysql server and upgrade the mysql port with the environment variable OVERWRITE_DB defined when running make install.

To rebuild the databases do I simply use:

mysqldump --all-databases > backup-file.sql

and then restart the mysql server using mysqld_safe

Am I missing any steps?

Thank you,
Michelle